Monday, June 8, 2009

Tasted better on the way down

Yup, the title explains it all. I wasn't feeling all that great after breakfast (probably too much liquid sitting in my belly), so I wasn't too hungry for lunch. I eventually ate a bowl of melon chunks (cantaloupe, I believe). Not the best and I wasn't really feeling it but I felt it necessary to eat SOMETHING. So I did. I left everything else on the tray. The burger certainly wasn't appealing and nothing else really tickled my fancy.

Anyway, a couple of hours later I began to feel queasy. And I puked. A lot. 400 cc. Basically all cantaloupe. It smelled and tasted exactly like what went down. Completely undigested. So, we'll consider lunch a failure.

Not too disconcerting, just a bit of a disappointment. I think I need to take things a little slower. Eat much smaller portions for the next few days. Incidentally, not too long after the return of the cantaloupe, the dinner tray was brought in. Turkey slices and mashed potatoes. I ate a small portion and it seems to be sitting well. Still a little queasy but not as bad as before. I think in a couple of hours my gut will adapt and it will all pass through. At least, that's the hope.

The TPN has officially been discontinued. So I'm now responsible for my nutrition and hydration (more reason to get past this minor queasiness). They also discontinued the narcotic pain meds. So now I get zero pain management. The surgical incisions still hurt a bit but the narcotics really haven't been doing much anyway. I don't think this will have any noticeable effect. Perhaps when the doctors finally sign off on my gut functionality, oral pain meds will have better effect.

No comments: