Tuesday, July 8, 2008

5 month check in

I went to the baby doctor a couple of days ago and had another ultrasound. This time Brian was really into it and he was able to stay upright. He enjoyed seeing all the different baby parts that looked like blobs to me, but he was able to decipher what they were. I put the best picture up next to this post. Not much different from the one at 11 weeks, but maybe a little bigger. The ultrasound tech was a little disappointed that we didn't want to know the sex, but she was good and didn't slip up and check (even though I probably wouldn't have been able to tell if I was seeing anything anyway). Everything is normal, he/she has all his/her hands, feet, fingers and toes, no club feet or cleft lip and pallets and I was told that he/she was really healthy. We are really happy about that, of course. The baby is 12 oz, but I don't know how long I must have been too busy staring at the TV screen watching our baby moving around when she told me. I was also told that I might not feel kicking for another month or so since my placenta is in the front between the baby and my belly and may act like a pillow muffling any kicks. That is really all there is to report. The doctor I saw was 28 weeks pregnant, which was kind of comforting. I guess she can empathize with how I am feeling. I will take a picture of my expanding belly in the near future. I have officially popped out. No way to hide it. I am out and proud! Not really. I feel pretty fat and dumpy, but nothing I can do about it.

As far as life outside of baby, not much really to report. As you know from Brian's previous post he is doing a lot of work to the house to create another room for guests that he can also use as an office for his new budding business. Once he is finished with the construction and the mudding of the walls, I will do the girlie parts and prime and paint to make it all look pretty. Don't worry, I will use no VOC paint and primer so that we won't inhale all those yucky paint fumes. Don't really enjoy painting, but it is something I can do and I feel badly about Brian doing everything.

As for work, I am enjoying my somewhat new job. Been at Birkitt for 5 months now and have been working on the same project since I started. It is all going well so far. I am hoping to study for and take my LEED certification test in the near future and then work on some green building projects, but until then, I am happy with what I am doing. At least most of the time. There are many chaotic days but then there are also some nice calm days, which can be a nice change. I did some field work on the Saturday after July 4th b/c my boss offered double pay for working that weekend. You can't pass up double pay even if you are a fat, pregnant woman! I have to admit it was really hard. It was hot and very hard to access some of the areas we needed to survey becasue they were covered with very thick, sometimes thorny vegetation. I made the decision, even though it pained me to admit it, that I was no longer in any shape for field work. I have become weak and soft. How sad. I was also attacked by chiggers and am still itching like crazy 4 days later. Little bastards. I am destined for office work until after the little bugger pops out. Oh well, there are perks to being in the office. Good temperature, restrooms, and no bugs to name a few.

1 comment:

ra1nguy said...

SIGH... Once again, it's all about Erin. "Oh, I'm tired...oh, it's hot out...oh, blah, blah, blah." What she continues to overlook is how difficult this is for ME. Seriously. Gentlemen, how many of you have sat for hours in a girlie doctor's office? No amount of uncomfortable misery can compare. All you hear in the waiting room is "Blah, blah, gossip, blah, sewing circle, blah, blah, more gossip, my this is bleeding, my that is fat, I'm sore here, blah, blah, painful-torture-to-men's-ears." Then, when you finally go into the inner sanctum, you might as well be an extra wastepan for all the attention you get. "Go over there, sit quietly and we'll come get you when it's over." Sheesh, I might as well not even exist. Thus begins my preparations for a future of being ignored and passed over for cute pretty cooing things.